Manuscript orderly book kept in Lisbon under the Command of General Cornelius Cuyler between 1st June 1799 - 9 April 1802.
Octavo-sized manuscript notebook bound in reversed calf with blind embellishment; marbled endpapers. First few leaves severely affected by old dampstaining although the paper remains intact and the manuscript easily readable. The first entry notes the appointment by Harry Calvert in Whitehall of the manuscript’s main writer Major (later Colonel) H D Fraser of the 47’th Regiment as Deputy Adutant General in Lisbon on 1st June, 1799. Fraser and his occasional replacement - also named Fraser - wrote most of the manuscript’s 216 pages (with about 20 blanks). The text records all aspects of British army life including local orders; orders transmitted from London, circulars from army headquarters in Horseguards, letters from the Commander in Chief, the Duke of York and Sir James Pulteney, as well as proceedings of Courts Martial many certified as ‘a true copy of the Original transmitted to the Adj.t Genls Office’. H D Fraser Colonel D. Adj. Genl’. One original item is included and signed off by its originator as an order taking ‘care that no forage is drawn for Houses of absent OFficers’, signed by Lieutenant General J Fraser - a copy of this was also sent to London in June 1800. On 3rd July Captain S Fraser of the 72nd Regiment took over the manuscript’s upkeep, lending it his distinctive more attractively calligraphic style.
The role of the British army in Portugal at this time centred on the need to prevent Britain’s old ally from siding with the French in the revolutionary wars. Ultimately this would prove impossible, leading to the Pensinsular Wars and final defeat for Napoleon.