Pew pass bought by a wealthy Scottish family living in London in the 1840s - adorned on the verso with the seal of a 17th century Scottish Bishop and Principal of Edinburgh University.
Toned card (9x6cm) printed and then accomplished and signed in manuscript by a church official, Adam Scott, for ‘Mrs Sangsters Servant’ for 6 months tenure of No 10, North Gallery at the significant cost of ‘£9/=’. Overleaf is the seal of Robert Leighton (1611-1684) as Bishop of Dunblane though he went on to be Bishop of Glasgow and Principal of Edinburgh University (6cm diameter), slightly chipped to edges. It is assumed that a later collector of all things Scottish decided to decorate thus the verso of this pass.
The Scots’ Church was a Scottish Presbyterian Chapel in the City of London, which moved to the site of the Old Bethlem Hospital in 1815 in a building designed by the architect William Jay. Wealthy families took out leases on church pews as a sign of status and a way of supporting their churches.